MICAH MORTON/ TOWNSPEOPLE/ FOOD STYLIST

brooklyn chateau

   Townspeople 
Food Stylist
Micah Morton

Micah Morton is Curly Girl Cooks. Professional Food Stylist, model/actress, and mother of two,  Micah's world is a  seamless blend of food and fashion. But while the fashion world would have us believe: food is beside the point, there's a revolution happening that's being televised, Tweeted, Instagrammed, Pinned and plain old debated. Artists, musicians and bloggers alike add to a roster of victual connoisseurs taking part in this revelatory moment the world is having with food. So while everyday edibles compete for Nielsen RatingsMicah Morton emerges as an artist with endless offerings and countless ways to display them. 

A recurring Stylist for the NY TimesNY MagazineKate Spade and other notable publications/designers, Micah is the creative genius behind many indelible images. She manages to style provisions on a variety of surfaces ranging from marble slabs to cast iron, plates to harvest tables, kitchen counters to wooden boards and then some. She skillfully bridges the gap between plating a dish and delivering brilliance. Not to mention, Micah's website is a digital showroom, which features vibrant creations impelling you to eat right off its pages.

I'd be remiss to mention that while pregnant with our oldest children (now fourteen years old), Micah and I spent countless hours devouring Greek food as we addressed our changing bodies and celebrated impending motherhood. Yet with five children between us, we can still be found chatting at a nearby cafe. Except for today, we'd likely be discussing current endeavors and our lavish plans for the future. As a friend and fellow doer, I'm in constant awe of Micah's ability to expand upon her genius and stretch beyond the expected.

Townspeople  stays the course to extract the inner workings of Food Styling and discover the secret behind Micah's delectable artistry.

Micah Morton
talks food Styling, Town and Takeaways:


Micah on being a Food Stylist:





TP: Describe the job of a food stylist:
MM: I make food specifically to be photographed or filmed. The food is my model and I prepare it for the eyes. So someone can see it visually and connect its beauty with their desire to eat it.

TP: What influenced you to integrate fashion with food?
MM: I didn’t even realize my job existed. But I really was searching for a way to continue with my art and performance background while doing something with food.  When I was introduced to food styling I felt it, immediately. You know when you have all these passions and you are on that journey of “what do I do or how do I do it?"

TP: What inspires you?
MM: My kids and their constant interest in new things, music, books, and what they talk about. I love grocery stores and I am always finding inspiration in ethnic markets. I also am obsessed with magazines of all types. I love to look at the pictures and live through the stories of people you discover collected together on the pages.

TP: Describe a typical day on set?
MM: I have to grocery shop every day! It’s my life, that and schlepping things. I didn’t realize how much stuff you carry for this job! You have your kit, which is like a portable kitchen that you take from shoot to shoot. You tailor your kit to the needs of each job and each shooting location. I get up early and I hit the stores with my lists and try to shop quickly because you might need to cross the town on the hunt for a prettier ingredient or a hard to find item.

On shoot days, you and an assistant get to the studio early and get going on the recipes you need to shoot that day. Depending on the job I also have to prep lots of things beforehand because you have a finite amount of time to get the shots done. Also so much of our job is to break recipes down in ways that allow us to get through a shoot as smoothly as possible while keeping to a set schedule.

TP: Do you have a signature design style?
MM: That’s hard to say of course!! I feel like I want to see a movement in my food so that it doesn’t look dead there to your eyes when you look at it. I also like those bits of mess that tell you visually that it tastes good. Like, where the light reflects on the darker and shinier bits of char on perfectly cooked meat. Yummmm so so appetizing even when you see it and don’t taste it!

TP: What is your favorite type of food to style and/or cook?
MM: I love to cook meat.



It is so beautiful in its simplicity when it’s seared or grilled. I’m also very good with baked goods. One of my friends who is also a favorite food stylist calls me “the biscuit whisperer.” I have cold hands and that combined with good technique can make you a wonder with crusts and the like.

TP: Is Food Styling a competitive industry? Why?

MM: Yes, it is an occupation in the media industry so there is always a choice out there of which stylist to use on any given job
You have to market yourself to get your 
work in front of the folks who book stylists. But I have always felt that there is enough work out there and what is for me has my name on it. I was so very fortunate to have worked for the best stylists who not only do beautiful work but they really mentored me and recommended me for jobs. That unselfishness was crucial in me making it as a freelancer. I could never have done it without the help that other stylists have given me.


TP: Name three cons/three pros of Food Styling:
MM: CONS
  • Having to wait a long time to get paid. Invoicing is a drag and you have to cover your expenses on each job and wait to be paid. 
  • It takes a while and a lot of hustle to book jobs. If you enter this business as a freelancer you have to be prepared for some real lean times while you get your book together.
  • Creatively when you really feel like making a certain choice but you can’t. Possibly because of a brand aesthetic or just a decision made. Sometimes you can fight for your cause but you learn to go with the flow if the shot isn’t what you love.
    PROS
  • It’s one of the best collaborative working environments. You meet and work with such talented artists and each person contributes their skill to the projects. It’s really nice to work that way. 
  • As a freelancer, I can really determine how to work and what flow works best for me. 
  • There are great travel opportunities once your client base is wide enough. Actually even as an apprenticing stylist, I traveled for shoots.           
TP: Name a Food Stylist you admire:
MM: I have always loved Ann Disrude’s work.
I found out about her when I began in the business. I also admire Susan Spungenshe’s so versatile in her work and career.

TP: Do you aspire to have a Curly Girl Cooks cookbook and/or television show? 
MM: I would love to! That would be dreams fulfilled for sure. I’m working on my online presence as we speak!

TP: What would you recommend for a home cook desiring more palatable dish presentations?
MM: I would definitely say use proper techniques across different recipes. It will save you time in making mistakes when trying out something new. For instance, I always do a water bath for any cheesecake even if the recipe doesn’t call for it. That way my cheesecakes are always cooked evenly and don’t crack. A food stylist does not want to do things over and over. You read through recipes and make sure to do the basics of everyday cooking techniques to achieve great results. Unfortunately, some people write recipes with confusing instructions that can lead you down the wrong path, especially when baking!

The freezer is your friend when making beautiful cookies. When I want to cut out cookies to hold their cookie cutter shape after cooking, I put the cookies in the freezer. Homemade sugar cookie dough is very forgiving and you can roll it out, freeze it, and cut out your cookies. Next, return them to the freezer to harden them immediately before cooking them. Your cookies will hold their borders much better than with warm dough. 



Micah's Beauty Blueprint:

What time of day do you feel most beautiful?
Anytime if my hair is right! My hair determines everything for me. When it’s the right kind of wild I feel great. But when my hair is messed up… well, time for a visit with the deep conditioner.

Describe your any day/go everywhere face: 
Usually, bare-faced with nicely arched eyebrows. My skin is so reactive that I cannot wear anything but sunscreen every day without breaking out. When I do my face I mix a drop of Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation (Tan Sand) into my bb cream or moisturizer. Then I make sure my eyebrows are right, add some highlighter if the circles are popping. Then I finish with mascara, blush and lip gloss. Mascara is my number one thing for changing my face in the best way. It completely changes everything!!

What's in your makeup bag?
VMV Hypoallergenics Skin “Faintation” – it’s basically a lightly tinted bb cream for the hyper-reactive super allergic set LOL me!! VMV Skin Armada Face Cover SPF 30- It is the best sunblock. It even helps with indoor light for those of us that get skin irritation or melasma from any light source. Aveda All-Sensitive moisturizer- It doesn’t break me out. YSL Touche Eclat #3- it’s a highlighter but its peach tone wipes out my dark circles and leaves me glowing without a “full face look.”

Favorite Town Haunts:

MM: I have to admit… I totally leave my neighborhood most times for food! There isn’t anything really close to me. Franklin Ave. Is where the food begins. But that’s still Crown Heights (regardless of what your realtor told you) So it’s cool!

Cafe: Nero Doro in Clinton Hill makes great fresh Juices and omelets in the AM and has nice wine and food in the evening

Pizza take-out: Barboncino is delicious to eat in. We like Peppino’s to take out.

Date night: the rare occasion… it’s always Burgers and Beer. We love to go to places that have nice burgers. Like Dram Shop or The Corner Bistro. A family date is Moo Burger in Cobble Hill. It’s a great spot with delicious food and really nice people.

Cocktails with girlfriends: WEATHER UP has good cocktails but I also like to get a drink and a meal at James

Market: I’m a California Girl and I just love Trader Joe’s. It’s in my heart. I do love Brooklyn Larder for fun interesting items like handmade candies and delicious cheeses. They make really nice Sandwiches too.

Sweet treat: We love Ample Hills Ice Cream. It’s so nice having it right by areas we frequent on outings with the kids.

Sunday outing: Always the park and then pizza and ice cream usually.


Micah's Townspeople Takeaways:

Principles or politicsI would say principles but those determine my politics anyway

Shower or bath? I love baths but I have no time and even less privacy

Coffee or tea? Coffee yum!

Natural or treated? Natural for sure

Loose or fitted? Fitted w/ loose accents like a great jacket. Loose doesn’t work on me otherwise.

Heels or flats? Heels!! But I can’t rock heels with my gigs so boots are a compromise.

Work out or work less? Work less! But my dance background makes me love classes for my fitness routine

Town or countryI was spoiled growing up by living in LA where you can be tucked into a bit of both
 

Finishing Quote:

"If my day were a short story the title would read:
No time for sleeping or maybe Constantly Moving."
  Micah Morton


MICAH MORTON
FOOD STYLIST 
cell: 718.809.8360

Interview by Crystal Granderson-Reid
Townspeople © 





























Comments

Popular Posts