Crystal Granderson-Reid/ Author

I have been passionate about writing since the second grade. Having written my first short story, Three Blind Roaches, which was a complete plagiarism of Three Blind Mice, my second-grade teacher, Mrs. Heaviside, felt my work had merit. And though my mother was not a fan of my chosen subject, I wrote what I knew. As a child, I spent exorbitant amounts of time running barefoot around my grandmother's property with my two brothers and boy cousins. But on the other side of town, within the plastered walls of my childhood apartment, where I lived with my parents and two brothers, my life was less about running freely and more about protecting everything I had. 
Imagination provided a colorful escape as dark times prevailed. Writing became my release. I'd spend hours drafting concepts for fictitious commercials and even more facilitating full-on productions starring my brothers and cousins. My Circumstances have since improved, and dark times are few. Somewhere between White Plains, a suburb of New York City where I grew up, small trips out of town, followed by grander trips to France, I found the mysteries of life unraveling. I discovered I was happiest when crafting my observations into life-size stories. However, since taking that first trip to France, I've dreamed of occupying a chateau in its remote countryside. That trip not only brought into focus everything I thought possible but also defined my place in the world. So while a chateau in France remains the dream, Brooklyn Chateau is home to my storied life. 








Comments

Popular Posts