CARLA LICAVOLI / TOWNSPEOPLE/ BROOKLYN BUBBLE

brooklyn chateau

  Townspeople 
CARLA LICAVOLI

Here, in my Brooklyn Bubble, where diversity of thought, ethnicity and economics is the norm, it’s not often you meet someone who converses with kindness and candor while cutting straight to the point. So when I met Carla Licavoli, another open-minded Brooklyn transplant, I found myself asking revelatory questions of a perfect stranger. My hope was to walk away having shared something meaningful with someone who'd left such an incredible impression. 





Two weeks ago, at the completion of an unused, purposeless back room into a well-designed laundry space, photographer Carla Licavoli visited my home. My contractor, Drakes Carpentry, hired Carla to photograph the laundry room for his 2017 brochure. After she was done, we discussed my experience with Drakes Carpentry; I had only good things to say. How we stumbled upon the conversation that inspired this interview, I don't recall. Though I do remember it being one of the most honest conversations I've ever had about race. 


Carla shared stories of her upbringing in Detroit, of her parents’ perspectives on race, however different from her own, and of being the recipient of discriminatory comments from black women. I wondered what it felt like to be on the receiving end of comments like that. Carla's candor was surprising; she answered every question I threw at her. Her willingness to share made me want to know her better. Understanding ours was a chance encounter happening amid an unsettling Presidential campaign, the conversation spoke volumes about what connects us as women/wives married to black men, and as mothers relishing this Brooklyn Bubble as we prepare our children for the world.

Townspeople asks the difficult questions of a white woman concerned with the many dangers facing her family under a Trump administration. You'll find Carla Licavoli is a woman to be reckoned with; she does not mince words when acknowledging how black women get labeled "angry” if/when they speak out, recognizing that this would never happen to her: "I'm allowed to speak my mind without any worries about how it may be received in reference to my ethnicity." 


Carla Licavoli
talks Race, the Brooklyn Bubble, Town and Takeaways.

Carla on race & motherhood: 
TP: During our conversation, you mentioned a time you visited Detroit with your boys and had an interesting experience at a local fair. Explain:

CL: We were at a street fair and we ran into an acquaintance of my mom's with her grandson. My boys at the time are maybe two and four. I have them looking so cute in their little polo shirts, pushing them in their double stroller.  I had heard the story of this child from my mom because the child is biracial. It was an unexpected pregnancy of a white girl by a black man and the man didn't stick around (the implied "as usual" always looming in every conversation about this situation). So this white grandmother is walking her biracial grandson through the street fair,  his hair is a mess, his clothes are a mess, it's actually quite sad. She spots me and my boy, in their pristine outfits and glistening hair, come over and says "Look Ben, kids like you." The shock, disgust, anger that I felt in that instant followed by the deep sadness that this sweet little boy had to grow up in a house like that, being made to feel like he was different. Ugh!  I wanted to grab his hand and take him with me. So I politely said to the woman, so as not to cause a scene in front of my children, "I'm going to walk away now before I say something I'm going to regret".  

TP: Growing up, what was the racial climate in Detroit?

CL: Detroit was incredibly segregated. People of different ethnicities didn't mix. I went to a catholic school on the East Side of Detroit that was 95% white in a city that was only 30% white. We had maybe one black family at our school and almost no interaction with anyone that wasn't white.

TP: How did your parents respond to the racial climate in Detroit? How do your parents respond to the racial climate in America today?

CL:  I don't think my parents did respond to the racial climate. They kept separate. My dad was a Detroit firefighter, so there were the black guys he worked with, that he trusted with his life and then there were the residents of Detroit that in his view, were destroying their city and ruining it for the rest of us. Black people were put into two categories, good ones and bad ones and the good ones were rare. 

Their views haven't really changed. We have had some deep and trying discussions in the last six months with the rise of the Black Lives Matter movement. My husband, sons and I walked in March in Fort Greene, Brooklyn in August after the murders of Philando Castile and Alton Sterling. I expressed my fear about every time my husband walks out of our home on social media and my mother responded how I don't have to worry, he's one of the good ones. This sparked a ferocious debate with lots of my friends trying to explain to my mother why what she said was wrong and her answer to all of it was "All Lives Matter".  It has caused a huge divide in our relationship and has caused arguments between my parents and my sisters as well. My parents just cannot see how they are complicit in any measure of racism because they love their grandchildren and son in law, yet don't recognize the fact that my husband and children are viewed by a large chunk of society as dangerous or criminals.

TP: How do “race” conversations had in your childhood home compare to ones you’re having now? Explain.

CL: We never discussed race in my childhood home. We had to move out of the city because the crime was out of control. Our house had been broken into several times (all by white men) yet the feeling was that black people were ruining the city. So we moved to the suburbs, like so many city workers at that time.

Our first discussions on race began when I started dating my husband in 2004. My parents didn't want to meet him.  I told them they didn't have to. I knew that this was serious and I didn't want to push anything on them that they were uncomfortable with. I told them it was their choice and they never had to meet him if they didn't want to but he was going to be in my life and by shutting him out, they would also be shutting me out. Eventually my mother came around because she felt her mother, my grandmother who loved everyone, would have been ashamed of how she was acting.  So, Andre and I boarded a plane and flew to Detroit to meet my family. I didn't realize then what a leap of faith he was making. How hard that must have been for him, knowing he was pre-judged before he even walked in the door. Of course everyone loved him.  I heard things like "he's so well-spoken" and my dad telling his friends how educated André was.  Justifying to their friends that he's one of the "good ones". And not being "woke" at the time, I was happy. I thought all was good and my parents had overcome their years of bias and racism. 

TP:  You mentioned a disturbing situation at a local ballet school your friend's daughter attends, and you appeared utterly put off. Would you mind sharing this story with Brooklyn Chateau readers?

CL:  My friend’s eight-year-old daughter is an amazing dancer.  She dances at a school in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn and is one of the only black children at the school. Every year they put on a production of the Nutcracker and when you reach a certain level you get to be a girl in the party scene.  The director at the school had assured my friend that her daughter would be a girl in this scene. Due to a shortage of other roles they also asked her to be a mouse and a soldier in other scenes.  Then when it comes time to give out the roles, my friend’s daughter finds out she’s a boy in the party scene.  My friend questioning the director asks why when she was told that she would be a girl and the director tells her that because of the other roles she’s in, where she has to wear a hat, the girls dancing in scene are supposed to have bouncing curls and they just don’t know how her [black] hair will transition between roles.

My friend, outraged and in tears, tells me this story as we are working on a photo shoot together. I am livid.  I tell her why isn’t she screaming at these people, why isn’t she posting things about this school online, why isn’t she pulling her kids from the school where she spends hundreds of dollars every month.  She says “I don’t want to be the angry black woman.”  My heart broke.  You can’t even be outraged for an injustice your child has suffered because you don’t want to be viewed as “the angry black woman”.  I told her I would go down there and scream on her behalf.  I can do that.  I can lose my temper at someone and never would I be judged as the “angry white woman”.  It’s a perfect example of white privilege.  I’ve never had to restrict my outrage for fear of judgment.  I’m allowed to speak my mind without any worries about how it may be received in reference to my ethnicity.  

TP: At their young ages, have your boys experienced racial discrimination or prejudice of any kind? If yes, how have you responded?

CL: I don’t think so.  We live in the Brooklyn Bubble and they go to a school where it is more rare to have families coming from similar ethnic backgrounds. When we travel we have been fortunate to not encounter any issues...yet.  It may change as we make our way to the Midwest for Christmas this year.  


TP: How do you think the race of your sons affects your concerns for their future?

CL: I’m scared.  My oldest son has oppositional defiance disorder (ODD) and ADHD.  He’s big for his age.  My biggest fear is that he will be in a situation where a police officer will tell him to do something and he won’t comply.  I know that black boys are at a huge disadvantage in the eyes of the law, in school and in society in general.  I also don’t want them to feel “other”, “less than” or even different.  I worry that the images they see could influence how they see themselves.  I try to really control what movies they see, shows they watch and books they read so that they don’t feel any less advantaged than anyone else.

TP: As mothers (for the most part), we become ferocious when our children fall in harm’s way. That said how do you feel regarding our President elect?

CL: I feel like the President elect has emboldened the racists in our country.  They feel like they can say what they want without consequences.  I think as a symbol for our nation, he makes me embarrassed to be American.  I try to look at it through a global lens and I was really proud for the last eight years. 
I feel like the President elect puts us all in danger and if you think because you are white, you are safe, you are so wrong.  If he starts a war… we are all in danger.  If he makes a bad choice for Supreme Court justice, all of our civil liberties are at risk. 

TP: What's your take on raising children in our Brooklyn Bubble? 

CL:  I love our Brooklyn Bubble!  I think it’s a perfect place to raise kids because they are free to be whatever they want to be.  Free to explore whom they are with other open-minded kids and families. Another parent at my kids’ school said something to me that really helped me put it all in perspective. “We live in our Brooklyn Bubble and it’s great but our job under this new administration is to make our bubble grow.”  I love that concept. Expanding our safe haven of ethnic, gender and religious acceptance until there is no place where we are unsafe.

TL: How does it compare to your childhood in Detroit?

CL: There’s no comparison. I was raised with no diversity. No political conversation. No conversation about sexuality. I was raised catholic. Went to catholic school. My parents made sure we were cared for in all the basic ways, food, shelter, education, etc. I think they did the best that they knew how.

TP: How will you prepare your sons for the "real" world?


CL: I think the best thing we can do is to be honest with them. I don't want to scare them but I don't want to sugar coat it either. I want them to know that many people in this world will view them as dangerous. I also want to instill in them a sense of social justice, a responsibility to take care of others as well as themselves. I think that is the disconnect between my parents and myself. I spoke to my dad today and was trying to explain to him why Trump is so scary to so many. He explained how he's getting a tax break and how everyone will calm down once they get theirs. It's like he can't see anything outside of his wallet. I want my sons to remember that their actions, whether it's voting for someone or buying a responsibly sourced product, all has a greater impact than just how it affects you, personally. When you make choices, think of all of the people that those choices affect beside yourself. I think if I can help them look at the bigger picture, I can help them to be better citizens of the world.

My husband and I already had the police talk with them about how to respond if an officer stops you. I never imagined having that talk with my children but my husband’s mom had that talk with him and because of the current state of affairs, we are having that talk with our 8 and 6 year old. It's so sad.

TP: Do you have an opinion on why black women make discriminatory comments against you and your husband?


CL: I don't really have an opinion on it. I think it says more about them than about me.  I try to ignore it. It is harder on my husband. He said that he was used to everyone hating on him except for black people and that being with me, he now had to endure more hate from his own people.

TP: What are your views on white privilege and how has it changed after having children?

CL: It's real. I didn't know I had it until actually very recently. I've been trying to educate myself on the black experience, reading and watching documentaries, and I see it. I feel it. It's a real thing. I am more aware of it when speaking with other white people. Especially when talking with Trump supporters and how they were able to look past his list of racist comments because it would never affect them. Being a mother of black boys has forced me to see the world through their eyes and see how the eyes of the world look at them.  

TP: Are you an optimist or a pessimist?

CL: Optimist, for sure. I have to be. I have to hope that the world is getting better. My kids won't know the term “gay marriage” they'll just know it as “marriage”. I love that!  I had hoped their first two presidents would be a black man and a woman and I had so much hope for that...but that is not the case, though the next person might be a woman or a person of color. I think the Millennials are moving past racial and gender norms in a way no other generation has done. I think my boys will come into adulthood in a more open-minded society and that gives me hope.



Carla's Beauty Blueprint:
What time of day do you feel most beautiful?
When I'm doing something I love, like taking pictures and when I'm at the beach.

Describe your any day/go everywhere face:
Tinted moisturizer and mascara





What's in your make-up bag?
Dr. Jarts -  Black Label detox beauty balm

Benefit - They’re Real mascara in black

Benefit - brow pencil
Mac - Devilishly dark eye shadow  x4
Smash box - bronzer
Kahina - Argan oil

For special occasions:
Mac- Ruby Woo red lipstick
Clinique - cake eyeliner






Favorite Town Haunts:

Cafe: Colador and The Black Swan

Pizza take-out: Speedy Romeo

Date night: used to be Do or Dine :( now Vandal

Cocktails with girlfriends: not often enough!!

Market: Trader Joe’s

Sweet treat: Dough

Sunday outing: hiking in warm weather, beach in hot weather, museum in cold or rain.



Carla's Townspeople Takeaways:


principles

Shower or bath? shower

Coffee or tea? COFFEE!!!

Natural or treated? Whatever makes you feel good. I've done both and love both but currently natural.

Loose or fitted? 
Fitted out on the town, loose at home

Heels or flats?  
Flats

Work out or work less?  
Wish I had time for either!!

Town or country? 
Both. Sometimes you need some country living to appreciate the hustle of the city


Finishing Quote:
"If my day were a short story the title would read:
I'm still learning.
CARLA LICAVOLI

Email: carla@littlestarstudionyc.com

Phone:  +1.6462074748


Interview by Crystal Granderson-Reid
Townspeople © 






Comments

Popular Posts