TATIANA POBLAH/ TOWNSPEOPLE/ FASHION ILLUSTRATOR

 brooklyn chateau
Townspeople
Tatiana Poblah
Illustrator
While traipsing through Union Square (NYC, Christmas Holiday 2016), amidst bohemian girls wearing fishnet stockings, playing acoustic guitar, I with my three daughters, spied the most stunning prints of gorgeous brown girls drawn with bright, pouty lips, and dreamy expressions. 

As we made our way over to the display, the artist, Tatiana Poblah, made our acquaintance. Tatiana was as pleasant to meet as her illustrations were to ogle. Right away we clicked, and right away we'd purchased several of her drawings. 

During a brief conversation, I gloated on her bewitching talent I felt worthy of Vogue and Porter magazines. She was gracious and kind and most of all, humble. I knew then I had to share Tatiana Poblah's exceptional talent with my Townspeople readers. 


Tatiana Poblah 
talks illustrating pretty girls, town and takeaways:



TownspeopleWhat's the impetus behind drawing "pretty girls"?
TPI love to draw women; we’re awesome. I love our shapes, the way we think, what we’re capable of, how strong we are. I love the makeup, the hair, the clothes, and everything feminine.

Townspeople: When did you first discover you had a talent for illustration?

TP: I have been drawing for as long as I can remember. I knew since I was a kid that I wanted to pursue a career in the arts and in design and have worked on developing my talent for as long as I can remember. My mom put me in drawing classes; I attended a design high school and studied art, fashion, and architecture in college and university. 

TownspeopleHas there been an uptick in the interest of/for your work since publishing on IG?
TPYes! IG has been great for finding like-minded people as well as given me really cool work opportunities. It’s also wonderful to see so many people give the illustrations love.

Townspeople: I'd read that due to the storefront you'd put your heart and soul closing, you experienced depression/a weird as hell period in your life until your brother introduced to mediation. Is there anything you can share with our readers about how meditation worked for you?
TP: Meditation stopped the crazy monkeys in my head (Lol!). I was having a really difficult time mourning the loss of my business because I'd attached my success as an artist and entrepreneur to my self-worth. When I had to close my business, I felt like a failure rather than feeling I had failed at a venture. 

Meditation helped me deal with the process and get back in touch with who I was; what my soul was. Meditation helped clear my mind and enabled me to find strength within and get back to my true self.

Townspeople: Your upbringing played a major part in your decision to become an artist. Explain:
TP: My parents were entrepreneurs and my siblings and I grew up in a household where we were encouraged to try new things and push ourselves. Furthermore, my family was extremely supportive with all the projects and art materials all over the house, and of time I needed for myself; they never discouraged me from doing what I was doing even when it felt like I would never reach my goals. They’re my biggest cheerleaders and the best support system.

Townspeople: Where do you gather inspiration?
TP:  Everywhere-I read a lot of books, I’m always on design (of all disciplines) and technology and business blogs, I people watch all the time, I’m obsessed with old objects and the way that they were produced, and I think and sketch all the time.



Townspeople: Edgar Degas once said, "Art is not what you see but what you make others see." Is this the case for you?
TP: I agree. It comes from you but once you create and put it out into the world; people who experience it have their own interpretation. It’s up to the artist to produce the experience they want to see.

   
TownspeopleAre you okay with sharing your process...if so-explain?
TPYes, it’s super simple. Think, sketch, draw, be open, push yourself and repeat. To me it doesn’t matter what the process is. I just want to keep pushing myself as an artist, designer, and entrepreneur. Right now I’m using markers to do so but nothing in this life is permanent.


Townspeople: I'm a fashion junkie and quite enjoy Garance Dore's illustrations. Would you say Garance Dore's trajectory is one you admire? 
TPOther people’s work ethics and professional trajectories inspire me but I do not emulate them. I’m not a fan of precedents because I believe that it stops us from looking inside and creating from a new place. Garance Dore is an amazing illustrator but we have different cultural and educational backgrounds-so I’m sure our careers will be different. If anything, when looking at the work of others I would like my professional career to resemble the career of Philippe Starck.


TownspeopleName a few of your favorite illustrators?

TownspeopleI must admit, your illustrations featuring women of color have encouraged me to wear bright red lipstick and to see my beauty in a new and affirming light. So I wonder, how often do you hear the words "Thank you"?
TP: I love it, thank you! That’s crazy cause you’re so gorgeous I would draw 20 shades of red and pink lipsticks on you :). I hear thank you all the time and it warms my heart and makes me so happy and grateful to be doing what I’m doing.

Townspeople: Finally, Michelangelo once said, "I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free." Once you've finished a piece, do you envision it as having being set free from somewhere or something? Explain.
TP: I do! Before it was difficult for me to complete pieces because I was too much into the details. Now, since I know myself enough as an artist to tap into something bigger than me for my art, I know I’ve done my best and release them into the universe with love and joy.



Tatiana's Beauty Blueprint:


What time of day do you feel most beautiful? 
When my makeup is fresh, after a workout or in the morning after a good night’s sleep.

Describe your any day/go everywhere face: I’m so simple - foundation, loose powder, brows, mascara, and lip-gloss.

What's in your make-up bag?
The same things as above plus one eyeliner, two MAC red lipsticks, and YSL lip-gloss.


Tatiana's Town: Montreal (Quebec) Canada




Favorite Town Haunts:

Cafe: any independent pretty cafe

Pizza take-out:
 Make it at home

Date night:
 Outdoor concerts all summer long




Cocktails with girlfriends: W Hotel

Market:
 Atwateroutdoor market

Sweet treat: Cake

Sunday outing:
 Brunch, time with my nephew and sister


Tatiana's Townspeople Takeaways:
Principles or politics?  Principles

Shower or bath?  Shower

Coffee or tea?  Too much coffee

Natural or treated?  Transitioning

Loose or fitted?  Depends where I’m going

Heels or flats?  Platforms and men’s loafers

Work out or work less?  Work out and work more

Town
 or country?  The Universe



Finishing Quote:

If my day were a short story the title would read: 
"Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do." - Pele

Interview by Crystal Granderson-Reid
Townspeople © 




















































Comments

Popular Posts