SHEILA BRIDGES/ TOWNSPEOPLE/ THE BALD MERMAID

brooklyn chateau
Townspeople
Interior Designer/Author
Named "America's Best Interior Designer" by CNN and Time Magazine
SHEILA BRIDGES

At the turn of the century, the popular TV show FRIENDS had us emulating its fictionally famous coffeehouse (Central Perk) in some form or fashionI for one hopped on its bohemian decor train. However, despite my efforts to create a vibrant, comfy front parlor, I couldn't stand to hangout in my own house.  I found myself drowning in muddy wall colors, while regretting each mammoth, poorly-constructed, velvet piece of furniture I just had to have. 

Until the day came I no longer wished to sweat to death on suffocating fabrics nor had I wished to scrape my limbs on a chipping coffee table. So I got rid of everything and lived with a blank canvas. And for more than a year, I sat longingly on my sparse parlor floor, waiting on a muse. Then, as I reached my wit's end, the universe took pity on me and introduced the work of Sheila Bridges (Named "America's Best Interior Designer" by CNN and Time Magazine)

Over several months, I devoured her television show, Sheila Bridges: Designer Living, then swallowed her first design book, Furnishing Forward, whole. I marveled at Sheila's ability to mix bold patterns and textures while incorporating contrasting periods and styles. In "Furnishing Forward", she mentions that our homes effect our emotional well-being, and by creating a desirable interior your mood is elevated. Her professional promise of instant cheer intrigued me. And after watching Designer Living, I became a pro at shopping flea markets and antique shops. So much so, routine Saturdays went from window-shopping in Soho to purchasing timeless treasures at the 26th street flea market in Chelsea. Now, my parlor is full of smart, well-constructed treasures that speak to my emotional and aesthetic self. 

Next to being an incredible designer, Sheila Bridges is a prolific writer whose words show an empathic, observant eye. I inhaled THE BALD MERMAID. And by inhaled I mean: I did not release a breath until I'd consumed all 345 pages. Not to mention, I discovered interesting parallels between our two lives. From being called 'white girl', to the tribulations of being black, female and entrepreneurial. Yet perhaps the most resonant and enduring narrative (albeit the shortest chapter in the book) was the chapter on "Miss Universe". And yes, I love that Sheila Bridges gives the universe a feminine moniker. If for no other reason, we women have immense strength, uncompromising integrity and the ability to change lives. Sheila's story encapsulates how our personal struggles propel us forward and define who we are. THE BALD MERMAID is the perfect pick-me-up-and-never-put-me-down book. Each chapter is a decadent gift filled with relevant anecdotes devoid of sugar coating. It's impossible to walk away feeling sorry for Sheila Bridges or yourself. 

http://www.sheilabridges.com/harlem_toile.php
Harlem Toile Wallpaper

I was recently re-acquainted with Sheila Bridges Design @harlemtoilegirl on (Instagram). I appreciate that like mine, her social-media identity gives nod to Old World Europe (Toile) and new world bourgeoisie (Harlem). At the end of her book, Sheila describes her relationship with modern technology as adversarial. But says about her personal relationships, "What I want is to see you in the flesh and look you in the eyes-maybe have a glass of rosé or a root bear float, and catch up in person." I love her throwback approach to communication so much that if Sheila Bridges were to say that to me, I'd reply, "If there's ever a chance @harlemtoilegirl ventures across the bridge, @Brooklyn_Chateau welcomes you with open arms, endless glasses of rosé and dying-to-be-wallpapered hallways." Townspeople chats with Sheila Bridges and finds out how 'Miss Universe' treats her when no one's watching.

SHEILA BRIDGES
talks 'Miss Universe'
Town & Takeaways.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bald-Mermaid-A-Memoir/dp/1938461053/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376944607&sr=8-1&keywords=the+bald+mermaid


Sheila Bridges' on 'Miss Universe':

TP: There's a moment in Chapter 12 (The Taste of Baldness) where you're crossing the street while eating an overpriced gingerbread man (crunch sounds included). You describe biting off its frosted head to "find out what baldness really tasted like." Baldness being your permanent reality, please describe how it feels today:
SB:  While being bald is definitely easier than going bald, having hair tastes better. One of the things that always bothered me about being diagnosed with Alopecia is that I felt like I didn't have a choice. Sure, I guess I could have chosen to wear a wig but that just wasn't (isn't) me.  While there is nothing life threatening about Alopecia, it is certainly life altering. I think it will always be challenging to navigate through life as a woman without hair.

TP: In Chapter 14 (The Hair Delicatessen), we see a microcosm of New York City's female populace: women of various ethnicities and walks of life waiting to purchase pounds of artificial hair. What do you find is the greatest common denominator amongst women? 
SB: In general I think most women are tough but they are even tougher on themselves and this is particularly true when it comes to matters of beauty.  Our society has created these crazy/unrealistic standards of beauty that just aren't realistic, attainable or achievable for most women-particularly for women of color.

TP: Your sense of humor prevails throughout the book. Often trumping your otherwise poetic voice present in most of its pages. And while I loved both, I truly enjoyed the brutally honest, wry (borderline surly) voice your humorous side offers. How did you develop your sense of humor?
SB: When I was growing up in Philadelphia I think that most of my friends thought I was pretty funny.  My sense of humor can be a bit dry or acerbic but I love to laugh and most of all love laughing at myself.  Humor and laughter always helps me to get through difficult times, particularly when I've been taking myself far too seriously.

TP: You describe those moments in your home crying and weeping as having had an emotional miscarriage while 'Miss Universe' sat idly by drinking a chamomile tea. Why did you liken you grief to having an emotional miscarriage?
SB: That short chapter was probably the hardest chapter of my book to write since I needed to make myself extremely vulnerable and tap into some of the tremendous feelings of loss that I experienced when I lost my hair. I wanted that chapter to read differently than all of the others which is why I chose to anthropomorphize the Universe and feelings that accompanied my emotions.

TP: I love how Dolby (Sheila's dog photographed throughout the book) was a prominent character. His loyalty and sophistication were magnetic. I found myself waiting on Dolby's reaction to everything. Have you found the same refinement to exist in any two-legged friends? 
SB: Not so sure about "refinement" but I do know that part of my connection to dogs, horses and other animals is the type of unconditional and spiritual love they have always given me.  I appreciate their very special type of honesty and loyalty. It's part of the reason that if I hadn't become an interior designer I am convinced that I would have probably become a veterinarian.

TP: In THE BALD MERMAID, we experience your fire and fury, gentility and reverie, as well as some magical and sullen moments. And though you don't claim it explicitly, a childlike sensibility is evident throughout your prose. What's more, you write beautifully of a mermaid you believe carried you safely back to shore during a family trip in Jamaica. Years later, do you still believe in mermaids?
SB: Imagine what life would be like without fantasy. I will always believe in Mermaids!

TP: With so many people suffering loss, any tips on how best to overcome a difficult situation?
SB: At some point everyone will experience loss.  As difficult as it is, I also think it's necessary to give into it in order to eventually heal from your loss.  Crying or expressing sadness or grief is part of the natural healing process and there's nothing wrong with succumbing to it.  It's not an indication of how weak you are but more of an acknowledgement of how much something mattered or meant to you before you lost it.

TP: Any thoughts on what 'Miss Universe' has in store for you in 2016?

SBI'm really excited about 2016.  I've been contemplating some major changes in my professional life but we'll just have to see how it plays out.  More than anything I try to take each day as it comes. Either way it's important for me to acknowledge that I am very fortunate because I am far more blessed than burdened.


Sheila Bridges' Beauty Blueprint:

What time of day do you feel most beautiful?
I'm a morning person so I guess I would say that I feel my best and my most beautiful in early part of the day.

Describe your any day/go everywhere face: 
Most days I don't wear much makeup unless I have a meeting with a client or something important enough that requires a "face."  Usually I just moisturize well then use powder, brown eyeliner and eyebrow pencil. Lip color is always must!

What's in your make-up bag?
What isn't in my makeup bag? Lots of Nars lipstick crayons in assorted shades, as well as MAC blush, pressed powder and concealer, Stila liquid eyeliner in dark brown, Urban Decay eye pencil in brown, tweezers, lip balm, scissors, and assorted brushes. Make-up Forever eyelashes in dark brown and DUO eyelash adhesive for the evenings that I need to have a more dramatic look.


Sheila Bridges' Town: 
Harlem, USA 

Favorite Town Haunts: 
http://www.thececilharlem.com/ 
Cafe: The Cecil (for dinner)
Take-out:  LoLo's SeafoodShack
Date night: That's up to him and between us
Cocktails with girlfriends: Viniteria
Market:  Fairway
Sweet treat:  Black and white cookies
Sunday outing: Hiking with my dogs


Sheila Bridges' Country:
Hudson Valley


Antique shop: Too many to choose from in Hudson,NY
Brunch: Le Gamin
Early dinner with house guests: My place for cocktails then Gaskins for dinner.


 




Sheila Bridges' Townspeople Takeaways:



Principles or politicsPrinciples

Shower or bath? Both(shower in the am and bath before bed)

Coffee or tea? Tea

Natural or treated? Natural
Loose or fitted? Fitted
Heels or flats? Flats

Work out or work less? Work out
Town or countryCountry


Finishing Quote:

"If my day were a short story the title would read: 

It's Complicated."
SHEILA BRIDGES

      
Interview by Crystal Granderson-Reid
Townspeople © 

















































Comments

Popular Posts